The food services department provides a variety of healthy food choices to ensure a student’s readiness to learn. We are committed to providing high quality, freshly prepared, nutritious food, and personalized service to all students and staff.
Food Service welcomes every student to enjoy FREE & SAFE school meals.
FREE meals are offered to all SMSD students regardless if they are learning remote, hybrid or in person. This includes breakfast and lunch meals. Meals are funded entirely by USDA as part of their Summer Meals Program extension. These free meals will continue through the end of the school year. We encourage families to continue to apply for free and reduced meals. Qualifying may allow for other support through the district.
Students will receive their in-person meals at no cost during the days they are in school. Any extra ala carte purchases the students make will require money to be on their food service account.
Meals are prepared with the utmost of care to ensure each child's safety. The Food Service department and employees take food safety and the health of all students and staff seriously. We continue to follow all health department food and COVID-19 guidelines including:
- All employees wear masks
- Gloves are worn and changed frequently
- Proper handwashing followed
- Acrylic shields used to ensure social distancing for the cashier and in food preparation areas
- High touch areas disinfected regularly
- All side dishes individually packaged
- Entrees served to students upon request
- Disposable compostable trays, individually wrapped silverware and individual condiments utilized
- Cashiers utilize software to charge elementary students and secondary students will use ID cards with scanners instead of pin pads
Monitor student meal accounts by visiting SchoolCafé. You’ll need to set up username and password. There are multiple benefits to this new software including the ability to:
- Apply for free or reduced meal benefits.
- View your child's account balance anytime.
- See exactly what a la carte items are being purchased.
- Set limits on a la carte purchases.
View Menus with nutrient and allergen information
Parents & students may apply money to meal accounts or by paying with cash.
Did you know that there are job openings with SMSD Food Services? You could work a few hours each day in one of our school kitchens. It’s a great way to earn some money while your student is at school. Check out our current job openings and apply by clicking here.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Food Service office:
Broadmoor Technical Center / Early Childhood Education Center
6701 W. 83rd St.
Shawnee Mission, KS 66204
Nancy Coughenour, Director
Jill Funk, Nutritionist
Carla Arcano, Supervisor
Jessica Gudvangen, Supervisor
Jo Sullins, Supervisor
Heidi Winkelmolen, Supervisor
Michelle Fish, Food Expediter
Diane Wagner, Software Specialist
Priscilla Wile, Free & Reduced Specialist