Free & Reduced Meals
Food Service welcomes every student to enjoy FREE school breakfast and lunch for the 2021-22 school year.
Once again, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has put into effect nationwide waivers allowing school food service departments to continue to serve healthy school meal options free to all students.
There are no Free & Reduced Meal Applications for 2021-22 school year since meals are FREE for all students.
Families are encouraged to complete a Household Economic Survey (HES) as part of the Parent Online Verification available on Skyward sometime in July. The purpose of the HES form is to assist families and our district in the upcoming year.
- Even though all students will be able to eat breakfast and lunch at no cost this year, the HES form generates additional state funds for our schools.
- If your family qualifies, the district will receive funds to help support programs providing additional support for learners with a variety of needs.
- Additionally, qualifying on the HES provides other benefits to families which may include free/reduced transportation fees and preK enrollment. If families do not complete the HES, State funding for our school district may be reduced.
- Do not complete the HES form if you are Directly Certified to receive free meals. If you receive state assistance, call the SMSD Food Service office before completing the HES form.
Eligibility determination will be made according to the guidelines established by the Kansas Department of Education. Please contact the SMSD Food Service office with any questions.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Monitor student meal accounts by visiting SchoolCafé. You’ll need to set up username and password. There are multiple benefits to this new software including the ability to:
- View your child's account balance anytime.
- Access direct certification information
- See exactly what a la carte items are being purchased.
- Set limits on a la carte purchases.
View Menus with nutrient and allergen information.