Legislative Advocacy and Platform
Shawnee Mission School District Legislative Platform 2018
The Shawnee Mission School District will advocate for our students, teachers, and district. We recognize, however, that the school district boundaries are not the limits of our support. The Shawnee Mission School District joins other districts in supporting constitutionally suitable funding of public education to serve our kids, our community, our economy, and our state.
- Support rigorous academic standards to prepare students to meet or exceed the Rose Standards in preparation for success in a globally competitive workforce. Advocate for federal, state and local funding that fulfills those standards through all the various formula components to support student achievement.
- Support a stable school finance formula that covers the costs of providing every student the opportunity to be college and career ready, that is financially sustainable, promotes efficiency, accountability, greater local funding flexibility, target students at risk with supports for teachers and students, and ensures educational excellence for all students in Kansas.
- Support greater opportunities for communities to utilize operational and capital funds at the local level with equalization.
- Support special education services and funding at the required 92% of excess cost and mitigate the wide variance in reimbursements.
- Support increased funding and increased access to behavioral health services.
- Expand funding for early learning programs to recognize and address academic and social needs as quickly as possible for all kids, particularly children at-risk.
- Oppose unfunded mandates by local and state government.
- Oppose any current or future legislation that directs public funds to private education.
- Support maintaining non-partisan school board elections.
10. Oppose efforts to amend the Kansas Constitution to potentially reduce the state and local commitment to make “suitable” provision for finance of the education for all students in the State of Kansas.