In this message:
● Reminder to fill out Online Verification Forms
● Steps to fill out forms
● Updated Form Information - Child Nutrition Meal Program Application
Dear Shawnee Mission School District Families,
We hope you are enjoying a great summer.
It may be hard to believe, but it is time to prepare for the next school year. Back-to-school forms (Online Verification Forms) are now online, and they need to be reviewed and signed with an electronic signature.
Steps to fill out forms:
● Visit smsd.org.
● In the top navigation bar, click on “Skyward” and log in to your account.
If you do not have a Family Access account, you may contact your child’s school office after July 26 to inquire about setting up account access.
● Under “Home” you will see “2022-2023 Student Annual Online Verification.”
There will be directions that walk you through the entire process.
They include permission forms, a health history review, and a medication permission form. For middle and high school students, there is also an athletic packet. The process should take only about 5 minutes to complete.
Please try to complete these forms as soon as possible. It is a mandatory step necessary for student materials checkout. Students cannot be assigned a computer/device until the forms are complete.
Updated Information for 2022-23 - Child Nutrition Meal Program Application
Families are encouraged to complete an application for free or reduced priced meals as part of the Online Verification. The link to the Child Nutrition Meal Program Application is available on Skyward or can be found on School Cafe. Families do need to create a School Cafe account if they do not already have one - more information may be located on the SMSD Food Service Free and Reduced web page. Children may receive free or reduced price meals based on certain Medicaid benefits or if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Applying and qualifying for free and reduced meal benefits not only assists families but also our district in the upcoming year.
● Students who qualify by a Meal Program application will be able to eat breakfast and lunch at a free or reduced cost this year. The application also generates additional state funds for our schools. If families do not complete the application, the district will not be able to receive state funding for which it is eligible.
● Additionally, qualifying for child nutrition meal benefits provides other benefits to eligible families, which may include free/reduced instructional resource fees, transportation fees, and Pre-k enrollment.
○ Families are encouraged to complete a Consent for Disclosure form in Skyward which gives SMSD Food Service permission to share a child’s eligibility status information with the programs families designate on the consent form.
● Do not complete the application if you are Directly Certified to receive free meals. If you receive state assistance and have not received a notification of eligibility, call the SMSD Food Service office before completing a meal program application.
○ Families who are directly certified are encouraged to complete a Consent for Disclosure form in Skyward which gives SMSD Food Service permission to share a child’s eligibility status information with the programs families designate on the consent form.
If you have any questions, please contact your school office. School offices open on Tuesday, July 26, 2022.
Thank you for your quick attention to this important step of the enrollment process. We look forward to welcoming your student(s) to the 2022-2023 school year!