The Shawnee Mission School District’s Early Childhood Program is a unique opportunity for students with special needs to learn age-appropriate skills from their peers in a structured environment.
Peers are an integral part of this program; they demonstrate skills such as following directions and using good manners during natural social interactions. We strive to provide all children enrolled in the program and their families a positive experience.
The Early Childhood Program is offered at the Shawnee Mission Early Childhood Education Center (6701 W. 83rd St).
Monday through Thursday from 8:15 – 11:00 or 12:15 – 3:00. Students are typically placed in AM or PM based on their age.
The Early Childhood Program is not in session on Friday or any days the Shawnee Mission School District is not in session. The School District’s calendar is available on the district’s website here. Parents/guardians must provide transportation.
There is NO COST to families who participate in the Early Childhood Peer Program
Please take a moment to review the requirements for early childhood peers:
• Be a Shawnee Mission School District resident or have a parent or guardian working in the district
• Be 3 or 4 years old on or before August 31, 2019
• Be toilet-trained (no more than one accident within a two-week period)
• Demonstrate independent self-help skills
• Initiate play with other children
• Be able to follow directions with minimal prompting
• Speak using a minimum of three-word phrases with age-appropriate articulation
• Understand concepts such as big/little, on/off, wet/dry
• Attend the program consistently
• Not be kindergarten-eligible (age five before September 1st, 2019)
• Currently not receiving services on an IEP or IFSP
If a student enrolled as a peer model is later determined to be eligible for special education services (including itinerant speech-language services), the student is not eligible to continue enrollment as an Early Childhood Peer.
New Link to register: https://www.smore.com/y3r9q
Please contact Shari Hardinger with questions 993-2603 or firstname.lastname@example.org