Kindergarten Roundup/Information Evenings will be hosted for incoming Kindergartners and parents between April 15 and 25. Click to see the complete schedule of Kindergarten Roundup events to find the event at your school.
Children must be age 5 on or before Aug. 31 to be eligible for Kindergarten enrollment. If you know of a family whose first child may be ready for Kindergarten, please share this information with them.
If you are unsure which school your child will attend, please use School Finder near the bottom of this page: https://www.smsd.org/about/boundary-maps.
In Kindergarten, children grow socially and emotionally as well as academically. The Shawnee Mission School District Kindergarten program helps children build a strong foundation for academic success. Experienced, compassionate, and talented teachers engage students in hands-on and personalized learning opportunities to help each student achieve personal excellence.
What you need to know about Kindergarten Roundup:
• Parents or guardians will begin the enrollment process, ask questions, meet the principal, and hear from teachers about what students will learn in Kindergarten.
• Children will participate in fun activities, so please bring them with you!
• Appointments for screenings may be scheduled at Kindergarten Roundup and may be held on either May 2 or May 3.
Items to take with you to Kindergarten Roundup:
• Certified copy of your child's birth certificate.
• Immunization records.
• Completed enrollment form.
• Proof of residency (two current utility bills and a mortgage statement, tax bill or new purchase/lease agreement).
Jump Start to Learning Continues This Summer
Kindergarten Roundup attendees are also encouraged to ask about Jump Start to Learning, a summer program designed to provide incoming kindergarten students an opportunity to practice literacy, numeracy, and the skills of being a student before their first day of school. The program is provided with funding from Title I and generous grant funding from the Hall Family Foundation and the Shawnee Mission Education Foundation. Jump Start to Learning will be offered to students living in Title I attendance areas. Other sites can accept students at schools who may not offer Jump Start to Learning as space allows.
To learn more about our free, full-day Kindergarten program, please visit our informational page about Kindergarten here: https://www.smsd.org/academics/kindergarten. Or, you can find it by visiting your school’s website and looking under the “Academics” tab.