Biography - Michael A. Fulton
Dr. Mike Fulton is superintendent of the Shawnee Mission School District (SMSD) in Johnson County, Kansas, a district which serves more than 27,000 students. He began his tenure with SMSD in July 2018. All five high schools in SMSD are recognized by U.S. News and World Report as among the top high schools in the country, and the district is in the top six percent of school districts nationwide.
Dr. Fulton previously served in the Pattonville School District (Mo.) for 23 years, the last 11 as superintendent. Prior to Pattonville, Fulton taught middle school and served as assessment coordinator in the School District of Clayton (Mo.). He began his teaching career in Bloomington (Ill.) District 87 where he taught grades five and six. On assignment from District 87, Fulton taught Curriculum and Instruction for one-year at Illinois State University. Fulton earned a bachelor’s degree from Southwest Missouri State University, a master’s degree from Illinois State University, and a doctoral degree from Saint Louis University.
During Fulton’s time in Pattonville, the district evolved into one of the most diverse school districts in Missouri and the nation. As diversity grew, so too did the district’s academic performance, leading the St. Louis Post Dispatch to recognize Pattonville as a district that “beats the odds” on state test scores. Pattonville grew to national stature by engaging students, parents, staff and community members in creating learning solutions that improve student academic success, promoted responsible citizenship and prepared students for college and career. Pattonville High School was regularly recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a top high school and Niche.com ranked Pattonville as one of the top school districts in the nation.
Fulton chaired or co-chaired several Missouri statewide committees related to student learning, assessment and accountability. That work involved bringing together a variety of stakeholders to collaborate on initiatives that supported students throughout Missouri.
Fulton served as a member of:
- Missouri Association of School Administrators’ (MASA) Show Me Accreditation and Assessment Task Force.
- Missouri Public Education Vision Project - Teaching, Learning and Assessment Committee, a joint effort by the Missouri School Boards Association (MSBA) and MASA
- Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s (DESE) Task Force for Proficiency-Based Learning.
- American Association of School Administrators (AASA) Governing Board.
- MASA Executive Committee.
- Kansas-Missouri Superintendents Leadership Forum, immediate past president.
Fulton has received the following honors:
- Chosen for the Pride of Pattonville award in 2005, which honors Pattonville volunteers and staff for service above and beyond the call of duty.
- Received the Special School District’s (SSD) Special Ambassador Award in 2018, the highest recognition given by SSD to honor those who demonstrate an extraordinary commitment to students and staff of SSD (SSD provides special education services for Pattonville students in kindergarten through twelfth grades).
- Received MASA’s two highest recognitions for Missouri superintendents, the Robert L. Pearce Award in 2014 and the Missouri Superintendent of the Year award in 2016.