Students who are juniors or seniors and have taken at least one semester of Computer Science through SMSD, or have gained significant networking, programming, or cybersecurity skills at their own school can apply to The Cerner Scholar experience.
The Cerner Scholar experience provides high school junior and senior students with a deeper learning experience related to their interest in computing and technology and/or business operations. The experience puts students in a real working environment with expected project deadlines.
Cerner Scholars are aligned to Cerner teams and have assigned Cerner managers.
More About Cerner Corporation
Cerner is transforming health care by developing tolls and technologies that make it more efficient for care providers and patients to navigate the complexity of our health. From single offices to entire countries, Cerner solutions are licensed at more than 25,000 facilities in over 35 countries.
More About Cerner Scholars
- Cerner Scholars are at a Cerner location / team working 2.5 hours a day, at least 4 days per week. Students are usually at Cerner 8-10:30AM or 12-2:30PM
- Cerner Scholars are at a Cerner location / teams either one semester or two semesters within a school year. This depends on the sending education partner.
- Cerner Scholars are unpaid. Students receive high school and sometimes college credit though their sending education partner.
EXAMPLE CERNER SCHOLAR PROJECTS COULD INCLUDE:
- Technical support for internal & external Cerner clients
- Collect and analyze data
- Help to created workflow tools
- Work with servers and hardware data center installs.
- Web stack development
- Query Scripting
- Basic solutions scripting & troubleshooting
- SQL translations
- Troubleshooting devices
- Creating PowerPoints & marketing material
- Creating and running automation scripts
- User Interface Development
- Exposure and work with operating system and database technologies (Linux, Unix, Windows, SQL, etc.)
QUALIFICATIONS FOR STUDENT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR CERNER SCHOLAR EXPERIENCE
- Participating with Cerner approved education partner - SMSD is an approved educational partner.
- Interest in technical and/or operational focused classes and coursework. Shown engagement in classes and coursework that aligns with Cerner business (technical / operational / health)
- Completed all requirements of their sending program
- Alignment with agreed upon skill sets between education partner and Cerner
- Junior or Senior in High School
- 95% or higher attendance rate in high school. must maintain while in Cerner Scholar Program
- Successfully pass Cerner application and interview process
- Able to provide own transportation or transportation provided through sending education partner
- Able to devote two semesters to the Cerner Scholar experience OR at least one semester (depending on education partner); at least 2.5 hours / 4 days per week