Play Center Groups
Parents as Teachers playgroups in the play center offer children an opportunity to build social skills and enjoy play time with their parents, model appropriate play and interact with other parents.
Parent Educators put forth a plan to bring families together inside at our Early Childhood Education Center play center. Parents as Teacher Play Center will be held on Friday. We are limited to 10 families per session and need families to register. Please see upcoming emails for registration. If you would like to register for the play center, click here.
The Play Center is open to all children currently enrolled in the Shawnee Mission Parents as Teachers program (birth to 36 months). Please attend only one session per week. No guest or older siblings please.
Shawnee Mission Early Childhood - Parents as Teachers Play Center
Early Childhood Education Center (Broadmoor Center) 6701 W. 83rd Street, (83rd & Metcalf) - (913) 993-9380
Hours and Schedule as follows: As we all move forward we will continue to offer a variety of options for our families and still keep safety protocols in place. Indoor play centers are available until further notice. Below is our schedule prior to COVID-19 and until we can safely open our play center PAT can continue to offer limited registration and adults wearing masks. Cleaning between each session and overall cleaning after each day will be a priority.
Currently, we will offer play centers on Friday & 4 Saturday's as scheduled on SignUpGenius.
Saturday Play Centers as follows:
- Saturday, September 11 - PTA Learn n' Play Morning
- Saturday, December 11 - Saturday Play Center w/mini BLOCK Fest
- Saturday, January 22 - Saturday Play Center w/mini BLOCK Fest
- Saturday, February 26 - Saturday Play Center w/mini BLOCK Fest
Please no food or drink and model clean-up skills as you and your child put toys away after play.
New Parenting Books - See the list of recently added titles from the Johnson County Library. The list was created at the request of Shawnee Mission Parents as Teachers and will be updated regularly:
THE SMART COOKIE, by John, Jory
Amos McGee Misses the Bus, by Stead, Phillip
Dino Pajama Party, by Beaty Andrea
Shapes and Colors, by Canty, John
Britannica First Big Book of Why Do Penguins Fly? Why D We Brush Our Teeth? Why Does Popcorn Pop? The Ultimate Book of Answers for Kids Who Need, by Symes, Sally
Play Center will be CLOSED on the Holiday Schedule as follows:
- Friday, November 26 - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Friday, December 24 - Christmas Holiday
- Friday, December 31 - New Year's Holiday
- Spring Break - The Play Center will be OPEN the week of Spring Break.
- Summer Play Center - Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, the play center is open. We will decide which day to pick for our summer play center.
- Inclement Weather - PAT staff and play center follow all Shawnee Mission School District weather cancellations. Please check your local news source or the main SMSD website for more information. If SMSD is closed due to poor weather conditions so are the PAT home visits and the play center.