We are pleased to welcome kindergarten students and their families to schools across the Shawnee Mission School District. The Shawnee Mission School District offers full-day kindergarten at each of the district's 34 elementary schools. Recognizing children are eager to discover and explore the world around them, there are many positive learning and social behavioral benefits for children who attend full-day kindergarten programs.
By Kansas statute, children must be age 5 on or before Aug. 31 to be eligible for Kindergarten enrollment.
The Shawnee Mission School District's full-day kindergarten program:
- Integrates new learning with past experiences through project-based activities.
- Provides learning in a literacy-rich environment.
- Emphasizes language development through appropriate pre-reading and literacy skills.
- Provides mixed skill-level groups.
- Emphasizes reading as well as listening to literature.
- Engages students in hands-on, STEM-focused learning.
- Utilizes 1:1 technology to support relevant learning in the classroom.
- Offers a balance of individual, small group, and whole group instructional experiences.
- Assesses student progress through teacher observation, performance, and student work samples.
- Provides sufficient time and practical application for individual progress on basic skills.
- Extends and enriches students in various concepts and areas of interest.