Families may choose between an In-Person Learning and Remote Learning model. In each scenario, there will be:
- Assessments and grades will be used
- Attendance will be taken
- Regular contact with Shawnee Mission School District teachers
The parents of students in Pre-K through 12th grade will choose between the following models:
In-Person Learning will be based on gating criteria we are awaiting from the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, and our ability to ensure the safety of our students and staff.
- Students of families selecting In-Person Learning will be assigned to their home school based on their address or approved transfer school.
- Depending on the status COVID-19 cases in Johnson County, students may receive instruction through one of three models In-Person Learning, Hybrid Learning, or Remote Learning.
- In an In-Person Learning scenario, per the Governor’s executive order, masks will be required. Hand sanitizer will be supplied and social distancing must be followed. There will be new mitigation measures for transportation, facility cleaning, and meals in every building.
- In instances of positive COVID-19 tests or potential exposure to COVID-19 in our schools, our district will work in partnership with the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment to determine appropriate action.
Students of families selecting Remote Learning will be assigned to a Remote Learning Shawnee Mission School District teacher and will remain in that remote class for the semester.
- Enrollment at the home school will remain intact. Students will not attend school in person anytime throughout the semester.
A Science-Based, Safety-First Approach
SMSD is taking a science-based, safety first approach in making decisions. Important to this approach was the release of the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) guidance and gating criteria for school districts for when it is safe to have in-person instruction.