Forms for Enrollment
- Shawnee Mission Student Enrollment Form (K-12) English
- Shawnee Mission Student Enrollment Form (K-12) Spanish
- Physical Examination (only required for students 8 years and younger)
- Immunization Record
- Home Health History Form English
- Home Health History Form Spanish
Additional information on physical examinations and immunizations may be found on the Health Services page.
Enrollment in Shawnee Mission schools is limited to students whose parent(s) lives in the district. Property ownership does not establish residency. More detailed definitions of residency are provided in the student section of the SMSD Board of Education policy manual (Student Admissions To/Withdrawals From - School Board Policy JBC). Additional explanation of the policy can be provided by building principals.
In the instance that a child and/or family is living with a resident of the district, but they aren’t the homeowner or resident, a hearing will be necessary for that student to seek resident status. Paperwork must be filled out and notarized in advance of the hearing. Packets can be downloaded at these links:
- For a family living in the home of a district resident – in English
- For a family living in the home of a district resident – in Spanish
- For a juvenile student living with a non-parent district resident – in English
- For a juvenile student living with a non-parent district resident – in Spanish
- For an adult student living in the home of a district resident – in English
- For an adult student living in the home of a district resident – in Spanish
To schedule a residency hearing or for residency related questions, please call the Residency Office at 913-993-7986. The Residency Office is located at the Career and Technical Campus (11475 W. 93rd St.) which is just west of Westridge Middle School. Enter through door #28 on the east side.
For school enrollment questions, please contact the school you are planning to attend. They will be most able to assist you.
Tuition and Transfer Students
Students living in Kansas, but not within the district's boundaries, may attend Shawnee Mission schools – when space is available – by paying tuition. Tuition is based on the district's per-pupil expenditure, which varies each year. If you are moving in or out of the district, be sure to check with the building principal in your area regarding your residency status. The general policy of the school district requires a student to attend the school designated for the attendance area in which he or she lives. However, under certain circumstances a student may be allowed to transfer to a school in a different attendance area. Transfers are considered on a case-by-case basis and are subject to space availability from year to year. The district does not supply transportation for transfer students. Review the board policy.
(Student Admissions To/Withdrawals From - School Board Policy JBC)
Additional information and details regarding the transfer request process can be found:
- Shawnee Mission School District Student Transfer Procedures 2018-19 handbook
- Shawnee Mission School District Student Transfer Procedures 2018-19 handbook Spanish
Out-of-state resident: Any child who was a resident of another state, who had reached the age of eligibility to enter kindergarten in that state, and who attended kindergarten in that state is eligible to attend kindergarten in Kansas, regardless of his or her age. Any child who was a resident of another state and has completed a kindergarten course maintained by a public school district or an accredited private, denominational, or parochial school will be eligible to enter first grade, regardless of his or her age.
Kansas resident: Any child who resides in the district and who will reach the age of 5 on or before August 31 of any school year is eligible to attend kindergarten that year. Any child who resides in the district and will reach the age of 6 on or before August 31 of any school year is eligible to attend first grade that year.