Inclement Weather Procedures
Weather conditions may make it necessary for the Shawnee Mission School District to close schools for the safety of students and staff. Announcements of this nature will be posted on the main page of the district website, as soon as as the information becomes available. In addition, parents and students are advised to listen to local radio or television stations for a current news report.
When possible, the decision is made during the evening prior to the day of closing. If so, the information will be provided to the media for broadcast on the 10 p.m. television and radio newscasts.
On days when school is closed due to inclement weather the Fitness Center will also be closed.
School closing information is available from many different sources:
- SMSD Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Local Radio and TV stations
- District's Home Page
- 24-hour information line at (913) 993-7380
- SMSD text, phone and email alerts (sign up for these in Skyward). See the Alerts webpage.
Please make sure your children are dressed warm enough for recess each day. Below are common guidelines regarding recess.
There will be no outdoor recess when:
- The temperature is 15 degrees or below.
- The wind chill index is 0 degrees or below.
- There is falling moisture.
No announcements will be made when schools are to remain open.
Inclement weather procedures for 2023-2024 are in review and will be shared in the coming weeks.
Below are the 2022-2023 procedures for reference.