Throughout your career, you make contributions to KPERS. We invest the money and pay you interest. You also build retirement credits while you work. When you retire, KPERS pays you a guaranteed monthly benefit. You also have life insurance and disability benefits as part of KPERS while you are still working.
You contribute mandatory 6% of your salary from each paycheck. It’s automatic and pretax. Your contributions earn a guaranteed 4% annual interest, paid quarterly. There is also a possibility for additional interest, depending on KPERS’ investment returns. You can withdraw your account balance if you leave employment, but you can’t take a loan from your account while you are still working.
After five years of service you are guaranteed a retirement benefit, even if you leave employment. This is called “vesting” your benefit.
KPERS has 3 Tiers that are based on when you became a member. Each Tier's benefits vary. Please choose your tier below for a detailed description:
Track your membership and plan for retirement:
- Contributions and interest
- Service credit
- Membership date
- Final average salary
- Beneficiary designation
- Annual statements
- You have 60 days to submit your life insurance form.
- If you’re vested, you’re guaranteed a retirement benefit.
- If you’re not vested, you need to withdraw within five years.
- You can withdraw after 31 days.
- If you withdraw, a direct rollover is the best way to avoid federal taxes and penalties.
- We don’t have your contact information. Please complete and return the address form. You can also update your address in your online account or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: When can I retire?
A: Log into your KPERS Account look at your balance and use the calculator.
Q: How do I log into my KPERS Account?
A: Click here: KPERS Online Account Access
Q: I want to retire what should I do?
A: Complete the Resignation-Retirement-LOA Form. Have it signed by your Administrator and send a copy to HR.
This is the only document the district needs from you.
Q: I am a Certified Employee what date do I use for the last day to work?
A: You will use May 26th, 2023.
Q: I am a Certified Employee what date do I use for my KPERS Retirement Date?
A: Your KPERS Retirement Date is always on the 1st of the month in which you have not worked.
Q: If I use June 1st for my KPERS retirement date will I still receive my District June, July and August checks?
A: Yes, You will receive District June, July and August checks on June 21st, 22nd and 23rd, 2023
Q: When will my District Health Benefits end?
A: Your District Health Benefits end on August 31st. You paid for it out of your June, July and August checks.
Q: I have my KPERS Retirement Application complete and my proof of birth and proof of name change documents what do I do now?
A: Contact Nicole Churchill the KPERS Designated Agent for the District and set up an appointment.
I am a notary and can review, notarize, witness and send to KPERS via secured upload. Once you have completed your forms and have the required documents for proof of birth and proof of name change, you may contact me to make an appointment and I can assist you with finalizing your KPERS Application.
Shawnee Mission School District
Classified Personnel Facilitator
KPERS Designated Agent
KPERS Retirement Tips:
- Your KPERS Retirement Date is always on the 1st of the month.
- You cannot physically work in the month that you retire.
- On Page 13, Part D your signature needs to be notarized.
- On Page 13, Part D If you check married, your spouse must sign under Part E and have their signature notarized.
- You will complete and sign on pages 15, 17 & 19.
- You must submit your KPERS Retirement application via fax or mail, no later than 30 days prior to your retirement date. Do not e-mail for security purposes.
VALIC Financial Advisors, Inc.
Financial Advisor | Kansas City District
AIG Retirement Services
13220 Metcalf Ave., Suite 360 | Overland Park, KS 66213
Cell 913.991.3906 | Tel 913.402.5000 | Fax 913.305.5382
email@example.com | www.aig.com/RetirementServices
Medicare Advantage-Medicare Supplement-Prescription Drug Plans
Martha Hausback Independent Agent
Social Security Benefits
Confirm your Social Security benefits. Get accurate information about Social Security applications and benefits by calling the Social Security Administration’s toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 or contacting your local SSA office.
KPERS Retirement Application
Beneficiary Change Form