The Shawnee Mission School District is committed to taking the proper steps to educate and provide resources to our staff that lead to employees being safe on the job. No matter your position, safety should be in the forefront of your mind. Read the Safety Manual and remember to "Think Safety First".
Safety and Injury Prevention Is Everybody's Responsibility
It is every Shawnee Mission School District employee’s responsibility to take precautions to prevent accidents and/or injuries to themselves and their fellow employees, to create safe work environments and work habits for the well-being of the staff, and to control claims.
What can you do to help prevent accidents and/or injuries?
- If you have an accident or a near miss, make sure you report it to your supervisor promptly. Your information can be used to prevent future accidents.
- If you see a spill, clean it up or contact your building’s custodian for it to be cleaned.
- Report any damaged floors or mats.
- Play your part and keep your workplace tidy.
- If you see items on the floor where someone could trip over them, remove them or arrange for them to be removed or for the environment to be made safe.
- If you are given personal protective equipment (PPE), wear it and look after it. Report any faults or damage to your supervisor and make arrangements for a replacement.
- Tell your administrator or supervisor about any work situation that you think is dangerous.
- Stay alert and be attentive to what you are doing and where you are going.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help and don’t be afraid to offer help when you see it’s needed.
Exercise care and practice safety awareness in everything you do. Accident and injury prevention is everybody’s business!