Breaking News 2022-2023
Monday, August 8, 2022
Updated Mitigation Plan
Superintendent, Dr. Michelle Hubbard, shared a statement regarding mitigation updates: The Shawnee Mission School District continues to work collaboratively with the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) in the response to and management of all communicable diseases. We are not the public health experts, so we rely on their public health expertise for guidance and direction.
The previous mitigation procedures that the district has had in place for the management of COVID-19 expired at the end of June. We have always had plans in place related to communicable diseases, following state statutes (specifically K.S.A. 65-118 and K.S.A. 65-122). Our experience with COVID-19 has made those plans more explicit and visible. We will continue to have the following processes in place:
- We will promote vaccination among students and staff
- We will support students and staff that choose to wear a mask
- We will exclude persons with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection for five days. The individual must be symptom free to return
- We will recommend that persons with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection who return on day six wear a mask through day 10
- As is the procedure with all infectious diseases, we will work with JCDHE regarding potential mitigation measures related to the spread of COVID-19 and any other infectious diseases
- Enhanced air filtration continues to be a priority to ensure an optimal learning environment. The nurses’ offices will continue to maintain HEPA Air Scrubbers.