Parents as Teachers is commitment to connect families to resources that help them reach their goals and address their parenting needs.
Infant Toddler Services of Johnson County presents Tina Payne Bryson - Rescheduled for Monday, October 12 (full) & Tuesday, October 13 (open registration).
Please, Join Us! Friends of Infant-Toddler Services, Wyandotte Infant Toddler Services, Blue Valley Parents As Teachers, and Shawnee Mission Parents as Teachers present a FREE Education Event featuring Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D. for Professionals, Families, Caregivers, Educators, Childcare Providers, and the Medical Community.
Dr. Tina Payne Bryson co-author of two New York Times bestsellers - The Whole-Brain Child and No-Drama Discipline. CLICK HERE
Shawnee Mission Parents as Teacher's PTA
Children thrive and succeed when parents are engaged and involved in activities with and for their children. Even at these early years, your involvement makes a difference. Also, availability of programs like parents as Teachers depends on the families involved letting their elected officials know that they need an want these programs. One way you can get involved is to join your PTA. Visit Shawnee Mission PTA for more information. SM PAT also encourages parents to get involved by volunteering to be a PTA Board Member. SM PAT PTA is looking for parents to help lead our PTA group connections for the 2020-21 school year. We are offering a discount to the yearly membership and wanted to share the attached flyer.
- All Parents as Teachers PTA activities are open to older siblings and children who have aged out of Parents as Teachers
- Once you purchased your annual PTA membership it offers your family continuation of activities for your children from 3 to 5 years of age.
- The PTA sponsors a clothing center to help supplement needs of families within the Shawnee Mission School District boundaries. Families can shop at no charge in this facility located at Broadmoor, 6701 W. 83rd Street, Overland Park, KS 66204
- Click HERE to fill out a Shawnee Mission PAT PTA membership form. What is the difference between Shawnee Mission PAT and our PTA? Click HERE Here is a quick link to pay your PAT PTA Membership dues: Pay Here
Infant Toddler Services of Johnson County (Birth to 2.9 years of age)
Through a working partnership between families and the community, Infant Toddler Services fosters and coordinates the delivery of timely, comprehensive, quality services for children ages birth to 2.9 years of age who have developmental delays or disabilities. Go to Infant Toddler Services of Johnson County for more information:
Early Childhood Developmental Screening (2.9 to 5 years of age)
The Shawnee Mission School District offers a developmental screening that assesses vision, hearing, problem-solving, personal-social development, gross/fine motor skills, and speech/language skills. The purpose of this screening is to identify children who may have substantial developmental delays and who maybe eligible for special education services. To find our more information about this process, click on the following link: Early Childhood Screening
- Students who are 4 years old by August 31 are eligible for enrollment
- Students must meet state immunization requirements
- Students must be independent with toileting
- Students are enrolled in either the morning or afternoon sessions
- Sessions are from 8:15 -11:00 a.m. or 12:15 - 3:00 p.m.
- Students may participate in either the school breakfast or lunch program
- Access is on the first come, first served basis
- Parents are responsible for transportation
Growing Futures Early Education Center
Growing Futures mission is to nurture children and strengthen families to enrich our community. They provides early childhood services to low-income families in the Johnson County area. Please visit the web site at: Growing Futures EEC
Car Seat Safety
Children's safety in their car seats is the law in every state. This law provides the best protection for infants and young children. Because installing children safety seats can be challenging, a certified child passenger safety technician check your installation of your child's safety seat.
- Technicians follow a standardized checklist to ensure that all aspects relative to the child, the card seat, and the vehicle seating location are explored
- Expectant parents, grandparents, and childcare providers are encouraged to bring their car and booster seats to be checked.
- If no events are schedule near you, contact your local police department and ask if they have a trained car seat safety technician.
- Many departments provide this service for free of charge.
- Learn more go to Safe Kids Johnson County: SAFE KIDS KANSAS
Report Child Abuse and Neglect
If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, please telephone the Kansas Protection Report Center at 1-800-922-5330. Every call is taken seriously and every effort will be made to protect your identity. Telephone lines are staffed 24 hours a day. In the event of an emergency contact your local law enforcement or call 911. For more information see following link: Report Child Abuse and Neglect
In Missouri call 1-800-392-3738
If you or a friend is suffering from physical abuse, emotional abuse, psychological abuse or verbal abuse, this free service can help: Prevent Domestic Violence
Reapertura del Centro de Ropa del PTA SMAC - (haga clic en el enlace)
SMAC PTA Clothing Center Reopening (click on link)
Johnson County Library Facebook Page
Highly recommended books in the Johnson County Library:
- Hello Hello by Wenzel, Brendan
- A Hippy-hoppy Toad by Archer, Peggy
- Old Hat by Gravett, Emily
- My Friends make me HAPPY! by Thomas, Jan